Monday, April 30, 2012

Moving along...

I wouldn't wish my current project on anyone.  Sorting through the belongings in a house we have lived in for 19 years is not my idea of fun.  It is really difficult.  In a strange way, though, it has been therapeutic.  It brings to the surface many memories.  Most of them are pleasant.  Some of them are painful.  All of them have given me occasion to think about the way I've spent my time. 

Much of my time in this house has been spent doing "mom" stuff - refereeing endless arguments, homeschooling, talking to teenagers late into the night, encouraging, correcting, fixing meals, cleaning, supervising chores, laughing...the list goes on endlessly.  During the time I was doing that, it often felt like what I was doing had little value.  I see now that it had great value. 

In the past ten years, I have been able to work at a few jobs that I really loved.  I felt that what I was doing was important, and had great value.  God led me into a field I never thought I'd go into (working with offenders), and I loved it.  I hope to do that work again after our move.  I don't mean to devalue the work I did, but I have come to realize that it wasn't as important as those late night talks with teenagers, or any of the other mom stuff I spent my time doing.  I've been pondering I Corinthians 3:11-15.  Much of the work I've been paid for will be burned.  The "mom" work, even that which seemed brainless and frustrating at the time, will survive.  It has eternal value.  I'm so thankful God gave me the opportunity to be a mom.

As far as the plans for the move go, things are falling into place.  Downsizing the house is progressing slowly.  We are developing a clearer picture of the sequence of the move.  We are receiving so much encouragement from people who are aware of our plans, and that encouragement is such a blessing.  Many people are praying for us and for the move, and that is the greatest support we can receive.  A few days ago, I was reading Genesis 24, in which Abraham sent his servant to his homeland to bring back a wife for his son, Isaac.  I was struck by how specifically the servant prayed to know who this wife would be, and how specifically God answered his prayer and directed him to Rebekah.  I have a tendency to be very general in my prayers, and I needed to see the value of specific requests, and be reminded that God answers them.  He is a God of details. I will be putting prayer requests at the end of blog posts, and we would be so grateful if those of you who pray would pray for us. 

PRAYER REQUESTS
Housing  It is likely that we will need to bring a travel trailer, a fifth wheel or a motor home with us for temporary housing.  We will need to find one that is not only affordable, but in good enough condition to withstand North Dakota winter weather, since "temporary" could last 6 months to a year.
Vehicle  Our 2005 Dodge Caravan with 160,000 miles would not pull something we could live in.  We have looked at a couple of 4 wheel drive pick up trucks and stronger SUV's, but again we need wisdom for what to get, and it needs to be affordable.  God will provide what we need, and we want to be wise with His provision.


No comments:

Post a Comment